Thursday, January 24, 2013

You Can't Make Me Go To Church!

"You can't make me go to church...so don't even try!" I've never actually had anyone tell me that...but I'm pretty sure they were thinking it.

It's been said that the top three reasons people don't go to church are:  It's boring...it's irrelevant and all they want is your money.  For the most part, the people I've just described are people who don't go to church...those that have never been or that don't see church as a part of their life.

But what about the people that either go (somewhat) or used to go and for whatever reason don't now - yet they know they need to?

Why do "church" people NOT go to church?

1. Lazy.  Once you get out of the habit of going it's tough to get back in the habit.  Especially when you work a lot and feel like Sunday is your "only day of"...or something like that.  It's easy to justify not going by saying, "I don't get anything out of going there.  Besides, I hook up with my family at Cracker Barrel after they get out of church (and I get out of bed.)"  It's easy to convince yourself that "family time" is an equal replacement for going to church.

2. Too much effort.  I meet people all the time who are sporadic in going to church.  They miss going, for however long, then when the bottom falls out in their life they are "getting back in church."  Sadly, because they do not make church attendance a lifestyle - they go right back to not going again.  They could best be described as people who go to the gym about once every 4-6 weeks and really work out hard - trying to catch up - but because they are now "sore" they decide not to go back because it's just "too much work." (Until the next time they get in a bind and need the church again.)

3. Forget what church is meant to be.  They see church as an "event"...something to attend on Sunday...as opposed to the group of people that make that church home.  Going to church should be more than event in our life...it should be a living organism NOT an organization.  Church should be about the people there and the God that shows up to meet with them every time they gather.  It should be a LIFESTYLE...where you plan everything else around it...not before it! 

4. "I got hurt."  I understand this one myself...but the truth is, you can't allow a past hurt or breech of trust or...whatever it might be...to stop you from pursuing God's plan for your life...AND His plan includes you being a part of a local church.

5. "I watch TV for my church."  I like Christian programing...but honestly, the TV pastor don't know me at all.  He has never reached through the television and gave me a hug, high five, handshake...and nothing personal...he just can't be there when I need him to be - for he is not my pastor.  

6. "They talk about money too much."  Perhaps that's true in some places...but it's also true, if those that call a local church their "home" would tithe and give like they're supposed to - that kind of talk would disappear.  For churches to function properly...it takes finances...just like anything else in this life.  Are you a "tither" or a "tipper?"

7. "There are too many hypocrites in the church."  If that's the case, then you should quit your job because there are too many in the workplace that are not carrying their share of the load.  Also, you should quit shopping at the grocery store because there are bad cooks who are shopping there also.  And you should tell your kids to quit school because there are some kids there who are nothing more than juvenile delinquents.

  • The wife can always excuse herself from attending because her husband won't go.
  • The husband can decline because his wife won't attend.
  • If they happen to be together they can blame the children..."they just won't get up and go to church."
  • If they are all present and can't blame one another, they'll reach an agreement that they don't want to leave their dog alone.

Here's some real LAME excuses "Church people" use and make it sound good by adding "God Knows My Heart!"
  • "I didn't come to church because I was too tired.  So, I watched the LIVE stream.  Besides, I don't like all that 'handshaking' they make you do anyway.  I surely don't want to get the flu with all those germs that are going around...God knows my heart!"
  • "I had to miss church because the kids wanted to sleep in...God knows my heart!"
  • "I can't come on Wednesday nights because the kids need to get to bed early.  But...SHHHH...don't tell anyone that I took them to 'Disney on Ice' and we got home at 10:30 pm on a school night or we went to the basketball game...God knows my heart!"
  • "I just had this feeling I shouldn't be there...God knows my heart!"
  • "I've worked all week so I'm too tired to go...God knows my heart!"
  • "There are no people my age so I'm not going...God knows my heart!"
  • "We used to be faithful to every service, but now that we're so mature in the Lord we don't need to go so much...God knows my heart!"
  • "Every time I go, they ask me to volunteer for something.  Don't they know that I just want to go to church and be fed?...God knows my heart!"
  • "The parking lot is too congested.  If they would expand the parking and could guarantee that I don't have to park in the grass, then I'd probably be more inclined to go...unless it's raining, snowing, cold, etc...besides, God knows my heart!"
  • "I saw someone there from my past that I don't get along with...God knows my heart!"
  • "I would go but my EX goes there...God knows my heart!"
  • "I need to catch up on Facebook...after all, Facebook is the 'real world' to me and I have lots of REAL friends who REALLY care about me and all my private business I post on there.  They need me tonight, so church will have to wait while I minister on Facebook...God knows my heart!"
  • "Why go to church when I can get what 'I really need' by having my own self sanctioned prayer meeting in my home that includes popcorn prophecy, ecclesiastical ecstasy and real freedom to say and do what makes me feel good?...God knows my heart!"
  • "Little Johnny don't like the youth group there...so we're going to let him call the shots about our church attendance, because after all, Little Johnny knows whats best for our families spiritual life and...God knows my heart!"
  • "I have to exercise every night of the week...so can't be there...besides, if I don't exercise tonight I won't be able to eat at the big party or weekend get-a-way we have planned again on Sunday (during church time.)...God knows my heart!"
  • "I meet God in my man cave.  It's just Him and me.  I don't have to go to church to be a Christian.  Who needs all that fellowship anyway??? Apostle Paul wasn't talking to someone like me...he was referring to all those other Christians...and God knows my heart!"
  • "Little Susie has a sniffle...so, the whole family is going to stay home and blow her nose for her and...God knows my heart!"
  • "I can't handle crowds, so I'm going to the ball game instead...God knows my heart!"
  • "Things aren't like they used to be.  The music isn't my choice, they don't sing the songs I like, and to be honest, some of the people just get on my nerves...God knows my heart!"
  • "I would go to church more if the church would pay my utility bills, help out with funeral expenses, keep groceries in my pantry, do more for my kids and take better care of me...God knows my heart!"

Church is God's idea.  He created it to be a place where He meets with people - just like you and me!  He does incredible things in His church!  The local church is God's hope for the world.  It's the hospital - it's the beacon in the dark - it's the place where love should be shared - it's the place where we find grace, hope and love - WHATEVER each of us need to face this world and WIN!

There are NO PERFECT CHURCHES!  But, there are churches that are REAL...where God is able to meet with the people there and do incredible things in their lives!

At the end of the day...God really does KNOW OUR HEART!