Friday, November 29, 2013

Run At Your Own Pace


Earlier this year I ran in the Patriot Challenge Race.  This race is dedicated to honoring America's heroes, our military, the police, firemen, all first responders and especially the heroes of 9-11.  All proceeds were donated to the Wish For Our Heroes organization.

There were many obstacles, each designed to be challenging.  I had to CRAWL, CLIMB, SLIDE and SPLASH through this rigorous course.

I was the oldest of our group and probably the most out of shape! (Actually, the most out of shape!)  When we started the race, I was able to keep up with the group until we reached "Capitol Hill"...where I had to climb on my hands and knees up a steep hill.  I quickly fell to the back of the pack and struggled to breathe as I finally reached the summit. Fortunately, my team didn't give up on me and were cheering me on as I crest the top of the hill gasping for air. 

With everything in me, I wanted to say, "ya'll just go ahead and I'll catch up."  However, they wouldn't leave my side...and their strength, stamina and support made me reach down within my core and find an extra burst of energy to keep on going.

After that first obstacle, I was able to get my bearings and find my own pace in the race.

There's an interesting story in Genesis 33 about Jacob and Esau that illustrates finding your own pace.

Jacob had an encounter with his brother, Esau, after they had been separated over an extended period of time.  Their relationship had been a strained one, and Jacob's discomfort in this relationship is evident.

(Genesis 33:12-14 NLT) "Well, let's be going," Esau said. "I will stay with you and lead the way." But Jacob replied, "You can see, my lord, that some of the children are very young, and the flocks and herds have their young, too.  If they are driven too hard, they may die.  So go on ahead of us.  We will follow at our own pace and meet you at Seir."

Esau wanted to travel side-by-side with Jacob.  However, Jacob knew the strength and stamina of his people and didn't feel obligated to "keep up" with Esau.  He knew that he had to do what was best for those under his care and supervision.  He had a responsibility toward his children and toward the young in his flock.

As a good "pastor" and father, Jacob knew he couldn't drive his flock and his children just to keep up with the expectations of Esau. Jacob wasn't given over to comparison and competitiveness to dictate the way he discharged his responsibilities as a leader.

Who is setting the pace for you?  Do you feel compelled to "keep up" with another ministry, pastor, etc.?  Don't be tempted to yield to that pressure.

We must lead within the scope of our own abilities.  Peter said to the lame man at the Beautiful Gate, "...such as I have give I thee" (Acts 3:6).  You can only give what you have.

Each of us have a unique calling, a unique set of gifts and a unique assignment from God. We will always be able to replicate principle but we must deliver our gifts through our own set of skills and abilities.

Running at your own pace is more enjoyable when you RECOGNIZE YOUR OWN LIMITS.  God hasn't called you to be T.D. Jakes, Rick Warren or Joel Osteen.  He has called you to be you!  We give honor to others in the body of Christ who minister and we learn incredible principles from their ministries that help us carry out our own Kingdom assignment. However, we must run our own race at our own pace.

God has called you to serve Him, and as you seek Him, He will give you the wisdom to set the RIGHT PACE for your ministry.  The pace He sets for you will not only be best for you, but it will also be what's best for all those on your team.

Run your own RACE at your own PACE!


LR - Brian Murphy, Tristan Colgrove, Cameron Woolf,
Russell Hylton, Nate Canales, Cross Colgrove