Friday, January 2, 2015

Have You Ever Been Stereotyped?

Have you ever been stereotyped? This morning, I had to drop my truck off at the mechanic. It was early, so I thought I would walk down the road to Starbucks and grab a coffee while I waited for the sun to rise and possibly catch a ride to work from a friend.

Picture this...it's dark, I'm wearing my army green jacket, I'm carrying a gym bag, my backpack and I'm walking down the road. I GOT SOME STARES.

Sometimes when we see people walking down the side of the road, we can assume the wrong thing.  We can assume that just because they are walking, they either don't have a car, can't afford a car or they're homeless.

The truth can become lost in the facts.  The TRUTH is, my truck is in the shop. The FACT is I'm walking to Starbucks by choice. Actually, I could have stayed at the mechanics shop and filled up on the tar-like coffee being served in the 2x2 guest waiting area. #SoundsYummy

I remember something similar happening when my daughter had her High School graduation party. My sister-n-law came into town to help us host the party. During all the preparations we realized that we were completely out of ice and some other items.  Guests were starting to arrive.  With time working against us,  my sister-n-law jumped in the truck with me and we headed to the store to get the items we needed while my wife and daughter stayed at the house to welcome guests and host. When we got to the check-out line to pay for our items...SURE ENOUGH...we ran into one of those "church people" who like to TALK ABOUT EVERYONE and apparently operates in the 10th Spiritual Gift called loquaciousness. 

This dear "sister" (I use that term lightly) confused the TRUTH from the FACTS.  The FACT was I was driving in my truck with another woman (other than my wife) the TRUTH was...she was my sister-n-law.

Friends, never confuse the TRUTH from the FACTS. Often times, people reach conclusions by what they've HEARD rather than what is TRUE. Honestly, you'll never be able to entirely prevent these misunderstandings from happening.  There will always be someone who is nosy, overly opinionated and loves to spread tales.  (Sound like anyone you know? Possibly you?) 

I've learned that you never talk ABOUT someone if you've not taken the time to talk TO them. Friends, enjoy the journey...even if you have to walk to Starbucks in the dark. 

Now when is my ride supposed to be here?