Thursday, October 19, 2017

Q & A: Should we worry about our calling or focus on the need?


Q: "I had a question about your Servant Leader post. My husband and I strive to be the best servant leaders we can be. We have always felt called to work with youth, in various ways. Right now there is a need in our church for a Sunday school teacher for a particular age group. We want to dive in and help fill this need. However, should we do that if it’s not part of our calling? We're scared that if we commit to this then later something could come up with the youth and we wouldn't be able to help with that because we are already committed. As good servant leaders, should we dive in and fill the need of the church before worrying about our calling? Thank you." 

Anonymous 

A: Great question! God sees the desires of your heart. 

  • Proverbs 18:16 "A man's gift maketh room for him, and bringeth him before great men." 

Your gift will make room for you. In other words, your gifting will continue to bring opportunities before you.

MINISTRY, by definition is "Seeing a need & meeting it." If you are seeing the need then you already know the answer to your question...because your heart is open to the KINGDOM NEED already in front of you. :)

  • Your FAITHFULNESS in LITTLE will bring your FRUITFULNESS in MUCH. 

Regarding your CALLING...it will always be before you.
I believe I'm just as much called in this season as I was in the last season or in any future season. 

It matters not what I do if I'm where I'm supposed to be...because the Holy Spirit will continue to manifest my GIFT to compliment my CALLING no matter where I serve.
To me, serving in ministry is a ROAD you travel...not a LADDER you climb. For example, in this season, I might be scrubbing toilets in the Kingdom. In the next season, I might be scrubbing toilets & teaching. Either way, I'm SERVING where I'm needed. If God desires me to be OVER THERE...He will bless me OVER HERE. The two will come together at my INTERSECTION of OPPORTUNITY. 

I believe my NEXT is in my NOW.  If I can get my NOW right...my NEXT will already be waiting on me.  This principle will not & cannot be bypassed. 

God bless!