Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Don't Pick Other People's Dandelions

I attended Smith Elementary in Akron, Ohio.  Constructed in 1918, it was named in honor of Fred E. Smith.  Mr. Smith was a leader in the early development of the town of Kenmore which was being developed by the Akron Realty Co.  The founders of the company laid out the town along the street railway line of the Northern Ohio Traction and Light Co. between Akron and Barberton.  In 1908, Fred. E. Smith purchased the entire holdings of the Akron Realty Co.  In the same year, Kenmore was incorporated.  Mr. Smith donated the land on which the school bearing his name was built.


Since we only lived one block from the grade school, I was allowed to walk to and from school.  One day, as I was walking home, I noticed that the dandelions were in full bloom at the house across the street from ours.  So, I picked a handful of them and brought them home to my mom and I presented them to her with a big smile!


When I walked in the door and handed them to my mom, she smiled and said, "where did you get those Russell?"  I explained to her that I had picked them out of the neighbor's yard.  


Before I go any further, allow me to explain that at that particular time, my parents were trying to instill within me the principle of "ask first"...which I was struggling to grasp.  


My mom smiled and told me that she thought the flowers were pretty, but then she asked me if I had asked the neighbor if I could pick them?  As soon as she said that...I realized I hadn't yet learned the "ask first" principle.  So, without hesitation, she sent me back to the neighbors with those "WEEDS" in my hand. (I didn't know they were weeds till later...ha ha ha)


I walked up to the neighbors door and knocked.  I had hoped the dear little old lady that lived there wouldn't hear me and I could leave the flowers on the porch.  However, she heard the knock and she opened the door with a smile.  I timidly handed her the flowers and said, "I picked these out of your yard without permission and my mom said I had to bring them back."


She looked at the flowers, she looked at me and then she looked at the flowers again.  She smiled and said, "Russell, thank you for bringing these back."  I turned around and ran home as fast as my "bionic" legs could run...all the while, I could hear the theme of the six million dollar man playing in my head. 


My mom taught me a valuable lesson that day...DON'T PICK OTHER PEOPLE'S DANDELIONS!  Of course, I now know that those dandelions were weeds...but mom was teaching me a lesson about "asking first."  (As I reflect on this story today, part of me thinks back and says, "that little old lady should have been thanking me for picking those dandelions out of her yard!!!  Ha ha ha...She was getting free labor!)


Another lesson I learned is...STAY OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S BUSINESS!  We all have weeds in our life.  If we'd spend more time fertilizing the yard of our heart with basic Christian nutrients (spiritual disciplines of prayer, bible reading, fasting, worship, church, etc.) we'd have less time to find fault with other people.


I truly believe that it's impossible to talk about someone you're earnestly praying for.


I've learned quite a few lessons from my parents along the way.  God has put wonderful people in my life who have helped shape me and still speak into my life.


Here's some thoughts....
  1. Make full use of your time.  Couch potatoes have earned their reputation for a reason.  Don't be one of them.
  2. Keep your car clean...both inside and out.  It's a reflection of what's in your heart.
  3. Keep your house clean...both inside and out.  It's a reflection of what's in your heart.
  4. If you see trash on the floor...pick it up.  
  5. Give lots of compliments out.  If all you can say is, "I like your eye brows" then say it.
  6. Even if you're late to church...COME ANYWAY...but for goodness sake can you ever show up on time?  Punctuality is the practice of princes!
  7. Quit looking like you ate a dill pickle.  Smile.
  8. Always root for the underdog.
  9. It's better to empathize than sympathize.  Whatever you do...don't enable someone to continue in dysfunction just because you want to be the hero.
  10. You can lie to yourself and others but God knows the truth.
  11. If you make a mistake admit it.  Accept responsibility for your actions.  Receive correction and restoration no matter how it comes and no matter how long it takes.  Lest you end up being a "byword" and a "cast away" people refer to as "Remember them?  That's what you don't want to do."
  12. Don't claim disease, dysfunction or labels with your mouth.  Life and death are in the power of the tongue.  
  13. Steer clear of those who cause division in the body of Christ with their words and actions.  Do not stoop to their level with back and forth squabble.  Remember who you are in Christ and Who you represent.
  14. Keep your eyes on Jesus.
  15. Focus on the vision He has called you to.
  16. When you enter a room, be the first to say hello.
  17. Don't wait to be asked...if something needs done...do it.  You will, unless you're lazy and take advantage of everyone.  We already have too many takers in the body of Christ.  WE NEED SOME MORE GIVERS.
  18. Work with enthusiasm and thank the Lord you have health to even get out of bed.  If you call off work every whip stitch...please don't come get in the prayer line asking for a new job when you lost the one you had because of disobedience.
  19. Do what you're going to do for the Lord while you're young and have your energy.
  20. Avoid being braggadocios.  If given a compliment, receive it with a "thank you."  Don't play off the compliment with false humility.
  21. Be loyal to your leaders at all times.  One slip will come back to bite you.
  22. Be truthful and honest.  All liars will have their part in the lake of fire.
  23. Grow up.  Quit tripping over the same junk.  At some point you're going to have to get the victory...why not today? 
  24. Love people with a genuine heart.  Be concerned about them.  However, don't enable them with a co-depency on you or your ministry.  If you really love them you'll teach them how to find their own identity in Christ and how to stand on their own two feet.
  25. Do not squabble with people over the internet, emails or text messages.  Talk face to face. Anything less is cowardliness. 
  26. Be a tither and a giver.  Anything less than 10% isn't partial obedience...its disobedience.
  27. You can't lead people where you've never been.
  28. Be faithful to the Lord and the church He died for.  Laying out of church when you have the health to be there isn't fooling anyone.  How is it we can be all over Indianapolis, playing, running the roads, living the good life but then can't go to church?  Your priorities are completely out of order.  What kind of example are you setting for your kids and others? The only person you're fooling is yourself.  
  29. Speak from practice not from theory.
  30. Preach your heart and passion...even if you've preached it before.  Eventually, you'll reach 100% of your audience. 
  31. Do not take advantage of people who are generous.  Dropping hints and acting desperate is the spirit of witchcraft.
  32. If your leaders correct you...take it like a man or woman of God and thank God He is being merciful to your soul by putting people in your life who love you enough to help you get to your destiny.
  33. You can't receive a promotion if you fail to give 100% where you're already at.  This includes your relationship with your leaders, peers and followers.  If you can't do it "here"...you'll have a rude awakening "there."  What's in you will surface again and again.
  34. Avoid drama with drama queens.
  35. Do not react to negative comments and opinionated people who want to get you to come off the wall.  Stay put and work the vision.
  36. Laugh at yourself.  It's OK.
  37. Pick yourself up by your boot straps and try again.  So what if you failed!  Failure isn't final unless you refuse to get back up.
  38. Don't worry about the people who look over their glasses at you funny...they just "hate ya" because they "aint ya!"
  39. You can't add to a glass that is already full. 
  40. Stay humble so you don't stumble.
  41. Keep your puppy feet.
  42. I've recently made this vow: I refuse to pray for anyone to get a job...if that job constantly takes them out of church.  I've seen the patterns too many times...next thing you hear...they've backslid and are back in the world.  Cold and indifferent. 
  43. It's the banana that leaves the bunch that gets peeled. 
  44. Invest in other people.  Find eager hearts and start pouring all your resources (time, teaching and treasure) into them.
  45. If someone isn't willing to give their time...they're not worth the time.
  46. Be kind to everyone.
  47. Be good everywhere you go, you never know who's watching you.
  48. Be a good tipper at a restaurant.  Cheap Christians give us all a bad name.
  49. If you don't leave a good tip...don't tell them you know me.
  50. If you're hard to please when you go out to eat and the servers despise you cause you constantly complain every time they see you...PLEASE do not tell them you know me...and whatever you do don't tell them you go to BFWC.  What you need to do is "pray through."
  51. Say "please" and "thank you" to everyone.
  52. Treat people the way you want to be treated.
  53. Keep your gas tank full.
  54. Cover other people's weaknesses.  By all means, don't try to throw them under the bus to make yourself look better.  You'll reap that somewhere.
  55. You can see better out of a clean window.
  56. To the pure...all things are pure.
  57. Realize that every leader will have to endure potshots.  Leadership places a bulls eye on your back.  "Welcome to the ministry."
  58. Blood may be thicker than water...but if that blood is in error...by all means don't ruin your own testimony over it, lest the whole family ends up in the ditch.
  59. The desire to sin comes from within you.  Master your flesh through the power of the Holy Spirit.  Starve your flesh and your spirit will grow.
  60. Never argue with a fool.
  61. Refuse to waste your energy dealing with the same ole' same ole'.  There are too many "good things" to devote your energy to.  If you're not wise...you'll get DRAINED by dealing with stuff you shouldn't even have entertained.
  62. Pour your life into people who are earnest and show forth fruit.
  63. We are not teaching people to "grow up" in Christ when we continually cater to their flesh. Someone has to say "STOP IT!" (In love of course.)
  64. I'm amazed at the people who say they're called of God and brag about their list of positions but are never faithful.  Friends we have to be faithful till we're fruitful.  JUST SHOW ME THE FRUIT!
  65. Where you position yourself in the room speaks of where your heart is positioned.