Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Do you BELONG?


Belong 
Belonging 


These words are simple enough. We all use them and we hear them from time to time. Have you ever thought about how we use them? What do they make us think of? Phrases like “being a part of something” and “fitting in.” These come to mind. 


Is belonging a PLACE or a CONDITION? 


On the surface, the word belonging has two simple parts: BE and LONGING.

  • It deals with BEING who we are. (Our identity)
  • LONGING for something. (Strong desire) In essence, we want to be rightly placed in position. 
Here’s what’s interesting…we can use these words and toss these ideas around without ever really touching their power. Without really experiencing what it means to BELONG


Belonging asks TWO QUESTIONS: 


1. Do I belong? 

  • I mean, I can think that I can belong anywhere…but down inside somehow I know that’s not so. So where do I belong? 
2. How do I locate this place? 

  • If we search for belonging with our earthly eyes, we often try to live closer to things we are not meant to live near. You and I know plenty of people…friends, relatives, even ourselves…that use the nearest and quickest thing to fill their deepest and strongest needs. 
  • God made us to be DEEP creatures. We deeply reflect His image. 
  • He gives us great STRENGTH…yet, our strength is renewed when we wait upon Him. 


The question is… “Where am I PLANTED?” 



In Psalms 63:1 David says, “You God, are my God. Earnestly I seek You. I thirst for You. My whole being longs for You in a dry and parched land where there is no water.” 


In Psalms 1 David says, “Blessed is the man whose delight is in the law of the Lord and who meditates on His law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by the streams of water which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not whither.” 


Our sense of belonging is actually a sacred sense of God’s fellowship and purpose. Our LONGING is not meant to draw us “just anywhere.” It is a strong and powerful force. Yet, when IDENTITY is tied to INNATE DESIRE, something much strong occurs…ME! My existence moves in BEING and LONGING


God has placed IN US something ascribed to no other creature…HIS IMAGE


Do you belong? 
Do you know where you belong?