Monday, April 25, 2011

The Shopping Spirit

We live in a day of church consumerism. Consumerism is a term we’re all familiar with because we deal with it on a daily basis. It shapes how we purchase, how we relate and how we shape our identities.

Consumerism can even effect our spirituality. Basically, it creates an exchange where we expect instant returns for our investments.

In my studies and personal experience of why people leave a church after spending years volunteering their time, I’ve discovered that the themes that stand out the most to me are:
  • They feel ripped off.
  • That they have given and gotten nothing back.
  • They view discipleship not as self-sacrificing service but rather a consumer exchange, in which instant gratification is sought.
In those conversations, It seemed to me that they were happy to follow Christ as long as He delivered a kind of consumerist heaven on earth. However, when this kind of heaven did not arrive, they became disillusioned. Of course, the advertising industry did not get the blame, God did, and active faith was thrown out the window.

When we follow God because we are expecting a kind of consumer pay off; we have invested in a faith that cannot last, you can only church shop for so long. When we worship a God who we believe will make our dreams come true we are not following the God of the Bible. Believers who live out their faith through the pattern of consumerism will end up almost definitely outside of the church and very disappointed.

I’ve been in the church all of my life. I was raised in a pastor’s home and have been surround by ministry all my life. One thing that I specifically remember about my parents is the amount of time they invested in the church. They would clean the church, shovel the snow, mow the yard, pray for our pastors, teach classes, drive buses, attend meetings, support leadership, give financially, participate in activities, attend every service possible, serve wherever needed – day or night, and make meals. There were many times that my dad would be called out at night to pray for the sick or visit someone at the request of our pastorHe did all of that and he worked a full time job in the factory.

They did all of it without complaining or asking for anything in return. In our home, there wasn’t an expectation of “receiving something” for our service unto the Lord. I never heard my parents say anything about “being owed” something. They viewed their service as UNTO the Lord. Of course, they served their leaders as they served the Lord and for that service I believe the Lord honored and blessed them for their commitment. In fact, I believe I’m serving where I am today because of my parent’s “serving” anointing.

None of us will ever be able to lead our “own” ministry if we cannot first serve in someone else’s…and for that matter...serve with integrity, honor, character and distinction. Knowing this has kept my feet on the narrow path and my heart content to be happy where I am and serve wherever and whenever for however long.

Who are you going to follow? Are you going to follow someone with a proven track record or someone who’s character is questionable and motives uncertain? Your advice is only as good as your advisor. Who you follow will determine where you end up.

How are you going to follow? How you follow will determine what you get. How you see your leader will determine what you receive from your leader. How you perceive is how you receive. In my own life, If I’ve wanted something from my pastor/leader (not in a greedy way) I made myself available to them and became their shadow. It’s the squeaky wheel that get’s the oil. You have to position yourself to receive from your leader.  If you're a "no show" or following from a distance than your leader will not be able to lean on you when they're tired, frustrated or need encouragement.

How long will you follow? If you view your place of service as a “stepping stone” till something better comes along or until you are the one who is eventually calling the shots…then you’ll never fully learn what you need to learn where you’re at because your mind will be somewhere else instead of focused on your God given assignment.

Elisha served Elijah for ten years – and would have continued doing that no matter what…until Elijah told Elisha that he was leaving and was going to entrust him with his anointing to fill his shoes. Elisha was hungry to receive everything he could from his leader but he was content to stay where he was planted…for “there” was where his anointing accumulated.

One thing I admire about Elisha is that he didn’t TAKE ministry…he INHERITED it.

Elisha was content where he was until his leader called him out and sent him forth. Another thing I like about Elisha is that he didn’t start getting goofy by withdrawing from his leader or getting himself in a bunch of mess. Had he done that…how on earth would Elijah have been able to promote him? The bottom line is…learn what you need to learn and do it over and over and over and over without losing your testimony in the process. THEN…you’ll be blessed and sent forth.

Ask yourself this:
  1. Do I have a servant’s heart?
  2. Am I willing and able to stand the test of time?
  3. Am I committed to the development process that will be required of me?
  4. Are my priorities in alignment to the Lord’s authority over me?
  5. Am I faithful and fruitful where I’m presently serving?
  6. How close am I following my leaders? (Near or far?)
  7. Will I follow to the end? (When the dust settles, will I still be there?)