Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Take Another Look at the Church (Part 4)

"Just preach the Word!"  I believe in that statement.  I believe it because I know from personal revelation, that the Word of God is enough to bring a supernatural change in the lives of people.

God uses the foolish of preaching.... (1 Corinthians 1:21)
Faith cometh by hearing...the Word...(Romans 10:17)

However, just because I preach the Word doesn't mean I excuse myself from using or exploring proven systems, strategies and innovation to promote church health and growth. 

I believe we must also put "works" with our faith. 

For example, if I'm looking for a job - I must be proactive in developing a quality resume, networking, attending job fairs, cold calling and getting off the couch! 

I once talked with a man who was unemployed about his job search.  He stated, "I'm just waiting on the Lord."  I realized that he wasn't waiting on the Lord...he was LAZY!  His idea of "waiting on the Lord" meant sitting on the couch all day, finishing off a bag of chips and a 2-liter of soda while watching TV 24/7, while his wife was working a job outside the home and he was waiting for companies to call him. (He'd been "waiting on the Lord" for five years.)  Friends, we can't just sit at home and wait on companies to call us.  We must be proactive in our efforts. 

I like the old saying, although not Scripture - it is loaded with principle, "God helps those who help themselves."

The same is true for churches.  We must utilize the basic principles we've been given while continually searching for effective methods to reach today's culture. 

I've had the privilege to speak with pastors of all ages.  I'm always wearing my "learning cap" when I get in their presence, regardless of their age or experience.  I believe everyone has something to offer and we can glean in any field if we purpose to.  However, I spoke with a pastor who has been in the ministry, probably longer than I've been living, who told me that "he didn't believe in all that new fandangled stuff."  He said, "we don't need lights, sound, seminars and programs brother...we just need to preach Jesus!" 

Well, having been raised in the church all my life, I can attest to the fact that YES we need to PREACH JESUS!  However, even Jesus used methods that were considered unorthodox, illustrations that were "out of the box" and various vehicles to deliver HIs message in His day.

I was saddened by this man's comments because it revealed to me how out-of-touch he was with reaching his grandchildren's generation.  Here is a man, with great experience, who should be like the "Men of Issachar who had understanding of the times" (1 Chronicles 12:32) but his thinking was so antiquated we might as well call him "Brother Rip Van Winkle."

If you're an older pastor reading this, let me assure you that you are highly respected and there are a younger group of ministers looking to you for wisdom, leadership and innovation!  Please don't make the mistake of alienating yourself with closed mindedness or statements that reveal how out-of-touch you may be.  I'm looking to you for inspiration!  I need to know that there are seasoned men/women who are "forward thinkers" and possess a progressive mind for ministry!

Tommy Barnett exemplifies this to me.  He is in his 70's now and is considered to be a FORWARD THINKER!  He has moved past his fear of "making people feel uncomfortable" while he pursues new ministry methods.  His life is an example of commitment to reaching out to others and training leaders in church growth and outreach, and for this he has become known as a "pastor's pastor."  His tenacity and refusal to step down from a challenge have inspired him to take unprecedenented leaps of faith in ministry, and by example to encourage pastors and leaders around the world to spread the love of God and change the lives of many through a relentless spirit of servanthood.

I heard him make a statement, while attending one of his conferences.  He said, "today's musical styles aren't necessarily my cup of tea.  But I let the young people play their music and sing their songs because I've learned how to adapt my methods to preach my message."  This was just one illustration he gave on how to lead through changing culture. 

His heart inspired me!  His passion to remain a FORWARD THINKER in an ever changing culture made me SMILE!  A man in his 70's who is still going STRONG in the ministry because he is more concerned about reaching the next generation than satisfying his own personal preferences, likes or dislikes.  If the Lord tarries...I want to be in that same category too! 

I want to reach the next generation!  I realize that today's tools may not be able to accomplish it...but if I keep my passion for God ablaze and I seek to be innovative, creative and fearless...God will give me the tools for tomorrow to reach those generations while maintaining His principles!

My friends and co-laborers, we must be PROACTIVE in our efforts to reaching our world.  We cannot just "mosey" into church this weekend and think it will "carry itself."  Let's be CREATIVE in our approach to how we "do" ministry. 

Preach the Word! 
Read, study, pray, fast!
Put works with your faith!
Network!
Sharpen one another!
Expect more!
Be creative!