Friday, September 6, 2013

The Penny March

As a child, I couldn't wait for our pastor to call for all the kids to come forward for the "PENNY MARCH."  By the time the invitation came, the change I had been clenching in my fist was clammy with sweat.  I wanted to be first in line.  Somehow, the sound of my change passing through the glass neck of that old fashioned water bottle and clanking around made me feel like I had really done something big!

My pastor was teaching me that I wasn't just giving an offering...I was INVESTING in the Kingdom of God.  I guess you could say, I was given a lesson on finance at an early age.  As I grew up, I carried this lesson with me and learned how to tithe consistently.  Today, it continues to be one of the wisest lessons on investing that I've ever learned.


When we put God FIRST in our GIVING
...God blesses our LIVING.

Bringing our TITHE (10%) to God acknowledges His ownership of everything BEFORE we enjoy any of it for ourselves.  God is so generous...He only asks for the 10%, in faith, while allowing us to live on the 90%.

Remember the PRINCIPLE Malachi taught us concerning stewardship? "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this, 'says the Lord Almighty'" (Malachi 3:10 NIV)

Lessons Learned:

  1. When you tithe, you get DIRECT ACCESS to the CAPITAL of Heaven!  God promises to open the "floodgates of heaven" to those who tithe! (v.10)  The Bible says that the "earth is the Lords."  He is the CFO of the universe!  And He has continually made heaven's RESOURCES and RESERVES available to me, as I have obeyed Him in my giving.
  2. INTEREST EARNED!  God's returns are compounded.  He said, He would "pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it!" (v.10).  In other words, you can't out give God...you'll find out in the end that He's outgiven you!

All you have to do is read the next verse to understand how serious God is about BLESSING you and INSURING you through your giving! "I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit." (Malachi 3:11 NIV).

Friends, everything you INVEST into the Kingdom of God will be returned to you in Heaven!