Friday, April 2, 2010

A Fool No More (Part 1)

This is the second part of a teaching I shared on “Foolishness”. In the first teaching I spoke about “Are You a Fool?” (I began writing the first article a couple weeks prior as a leadership teaching to a group of leaders and finally finished it on the plane.)

In addition to posting this to my blog, I also made it available as an email to our email database. The responses were incredible. A big thanks to all my pastor friends, of who this was originally intended, who commented as well as to those I heard from, some I know, some I don’t. :-)

In all of Solomon’s wisdom he imparted specific truth about wisdom.

Proverbs 1:1-3 1The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel; 2To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding; 3To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

Basically, he tells us that each of are to “KNOW” wisdom and instruction as well as “RECEIVE” the instruction of wisdom.

Many of us have learned in the school of hard knocks. Trial and error has been our constant companion.

What a privilege I’ve had over the past eleven years, in particular, to have the guidance of some wonderful pastors/leaders. Their wisdom individually has been instrumental to my personal development as a leader. However, their wisdom collectively has been vital to my longevity.

It’s one thing to KNOW wisdom and instruction, or have it shared with you. It’s another thing to RECEIVE the instruction and actually apply it.

If we really want to know what wisdom is, we must know what wisdom is not. Wisdom is not foolishness. Want to be wise? Then don’t be a fool!

In my first post we defined a fool: someone considered to lack good sense or judgment.

We could also define a fool as someone who hates wisdom and walks foolishly, just to spite wisdom.

The word fool is mentioned 62 times in Scripture. In Scripture the “fool” is a person who casts off the fear of God, and thinks and acts as if he/she could safely disregard the eternal principles of God’s righteousness. (A person who chooses to disregard God and His wisdom.)

Here’s some steps to becoming a fool no more:

1. NO MORE will I trust in myself

In his own eyes, he can do wrong. (Proverbs 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.)

Foolishly, he trusts in his own heart. (Proverbs 28:26 He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.)

And yet the Bible instructs us to put our trust in the Lord and not lean on our own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Alone by ourselves, we cannot be trusted! We absolutely need the Lord’s guidance in our lives. Not only do we need it…we must receive it in order to have success. The moment we trust in our own intellect and ingenuity, is the moment we welcome failure.

I’ve talked with pastors and leaders who are sharp, innovative thinkers! I love being around them – they keep me inspired! And yet, even they have to realize that the ideas, dreams, strategies and systems are only achievable if the Lord is at the helm.

I guess one reason we would rather trust ourselves is because people have failed us too many times and as a result we carry the thought process, “I’ll just do this myself – at least it will get done.” Before long, we’re trusting in our own strength, knowledge and skill and unwilling to receive instruction from another. If we don’t BREAK FREE from this mindset, we’ll never see the success we desire. Stop trusting in your own merit…trust only in the Lord.

2. NO MORE will I be deaf to instruction

Have you ever seen a child hold his hands over his ears and refuse to listen to instruction? Worse yet, have you seen an adult do this? Even worse, have you seen a Christian leader do this?

I recall meeting with a group of ministers for a brainstorming session. In the group there was a particular leader who was new to his office and was extremely vocal about all the things HE was going to accomplish. I could tell from the facial responses from others in the room that they were thinking the same thing I was.

Proverbs 18:2 A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself. (In others words, a fool cares only to tell others what he knows)

Someone spoke up and tried to steer the conversation into the path of wisdom. Others commented. And yet, with all the instruction being offered in that room, this particular leader chose to do the opposite.

Proverbs 18:13 He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him. (In other words, a fool thinks he knows everything)

Six months later, when I saw that leader again, his countenance was completely different as he shared the results of how things didn’t work out like he had thought they would.

It’s not that his plans weren’t creative and full of energy. What he lacked was timing. See, you can have the direction of God – but if you don’t have his timing – you will not have His success.

We are admonished to receive wisdom and instruction – not despise it. Today, I’m extremely thankful for ears to hear. Sometimes it takes a while for wisdom to sink into my thick skull, but having a desire for wisdom will keep me coming back to the true source.

3. NO MORE will I refuse discipline

Who likes discipline? Who among us enjoy being taken to the office for instruction?

Remember when you were in Jr. High and were called to the principal’s office? Every step you took, you were trembling, your hands sweaty, your stomach turning in knots. I remember too well.

When I first began preaching in the pulpit, I remember one night after a great service (I thought), my Pastor asked to see me in his office. On the way there, I was thinking, “he’s going to compliment me for the fine job I did tonight.” When we walked in to his office, he asked me to have a seat. He then sandwiched me with a positive, a negative, and then a positive. He shared with me some things I needed to hear about the manner of my preaching and the misinterpretation of Scriptural context in my message. I felt like a fool, knowing I had made such a blunder and that everyone in the church that night knew it too. And yet, wisdom reached across the desk and said, “you’ll be alright – take this instruction and you’ll be the better for it.” I did – and I was.

Friend, that was many years ago, and to this day, discipline is my best friend. The chastening of the Lord is not to be feared but embraced. It’s through discipline that my Lord makes me wiser and stronger. It’s through discipline that I am better shaped into the image of my Lord. It’s through discipline that I am declared a true son.

Hebrews 12:5-8 5And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 8But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

If you are a pastor, parishioner, leader or breathing – the true test of sonship is whether or not you’ll stay in a place after you’ve been disciplined.

I could have walked out of my pastor’s office with a “Mr. Big Britches” attitude and said:


  • “I don’t have to take this!”
  • “I don’t have to listen to this!”
  • “I’m called of God!”
  • “Bless God, no one’s going to tell me what to do.”
  • "I have a ministry!"
  • "Who does he think he is?"
  • "Bless God, I'll just go start my own church!"
  • "He's just trying to hold me back!"
  • "He doesn't want me to succeed!"
  • "I'm out of here!"
  • "I'll show him!"
And if I would have, it would have proved the point that I lacked discipline in my life and was a bigger fool than I thought.

Proverbs 17:10 A reproof entereth more into a wise man than an hundred stripes into a fool.
Proverbs 12:1 Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish.

Again, the true test of sonship is whether or not you’ll stay in a place after you’ve received correction.

How many people do you know who have refused correction?


Friend, if we want to be wise not only must we KNOW wisdom and instruction, we must also RECEIVE the instruction of wisdom.