Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 4 Devotion 1-14-11

Can You See That?

John 4:35 “Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.”

Imagine this scene....

Jesus is gathered with a small group of followers on a hillside overlooking the area. With a sweeping gesture of His hand, He says “Some think there are still four months until harvest, but I say, lift up your eyes and look on the fields, for they are white already to harvest.” The followers squint their eyes, straining to see what Jesus sees, but they recognize no gleaming fields of grain. With puzzled expressions they turn to Him, as if to ask, “Where exactly is the grain ready to harvest?” Knowing their hearts, He says, “I’m not talking about a physical harvest of grain, but a spiritual harvest of people.” Patiently, He continues, “Dear ones, you must look above and beyond the distractions to see the people. It is to them that I came to give life and give it abundantly.”

Just as He wanted them to see the spiritual harvest, He wants us to do the same today. And, just as they needed to look above and beyond, so do we.

Prayer Focus
Right now, at this crucial moment in the history of our church, God is checking our vision. As we continue this spiritual journey, He’s determining if we can see what He really wants us to see. And He’s challenging us to be obedient to Him as we carry out what His spiritual vision demands that we do.

Today, ask yourself, “What can I do to check my spiritual vision and ensure that I see what is right?” What Do I need to see? Who do I need to chat with?

What action should I take? Where do you want me to go? When? I’m open! I’m saying “yes” before you even ask!