Monday, February 21, 2011

Does My Opinion Matter?

Serving the vision of a local church trumps my personal views and opinions.  Although my opinions and views may be utilized at some point to further the overall vision, they do not take precedence over the God appointed voice and visionary in that place, namely the pastor.

As I have served my leaders, I have done so with continual regard to their particular vision and direction.  My objective is to hold up their hands as we, together, achieve the vision.

Holding up someone elses hands can be tiresome if you are not disciplined in your own spiritual fitness.  One could easily begin to criticize their leader or find fault with their methods if they themselves become negligent in their own spiritual disciplines of prayer, fasting, reading the word and meditation.

Serving others can be draining and at times demanding.  However, there are great rewards and an increase of anointing that flows your way when you continue to serve faithfully and with pure motives. (i.e., Elisha and the double portion)

We all have our own opinion.  There's nothing wrong with having an opinion.  However, if our opinion impedes negatively on the overall direction of the defined vision, and is not communicated with layers of love and careful word choices, then our opinion causes seeds of destruction rather than construction.

For example...if I were teaching a class in a local church, it would be out of order for me to make personal, opinionated statements that are contrary to the teachings or viewpoints of the senior pastor in that local church.  It would not only be out of order it would also reflect a lack of spiritual maturity on my part.

It would be like me saying, "The pastor and I share similar viewpoints on a particular subject, but I don't really agree with his philosophy."  Or "I teach one thing, the pastor teaches another...you decide."  This would be planting a seed of doubt and furthermore attempting to make ourselves appear more knowledgeable.

When we serve under a vision, whether it's corporate or personal, we are accountable to represent our leader's viewpoints, philosophies and heart at all times.  We become an expression of them to others.

The inability to carry this through is a reflection of our own spiritual immaturity.  It cannot be justified and cannot be allowed to continue.

David's son Absalom, had a canny way of undermining his father's leadership by his words and kisses.  "Oh, don't bother the king with that...I'll gladly resolve this for you.  No need to involve the king...he don't have time for you anyway...but I do."  Hence we coin the phrase "An Absalom spirit."

Representing my leader is a major priority in my life.  I also believe "what goes around comes around."  Remember, until Jesus comes, you'll be representing someone and someone will be representing you.  We would do well to remember this.

When I was a youth pastor, my pastor would send me to the hospital to pray for people on his behalf.  I had a choice of how I was going to represent my pastor.  I could be loyal or disloyal.  I could seek to gain an audience or point people to him.  It was my choice. 

I could say, "Pastor didn't have time to come pray for you today.  BUT I'M HERE!"  or I could say, "I'm here on behalf of my pastor today.  When I leave here I will be reporting to him your condition.  He sends his love to you, let's pray!"

It's an internal decision that can have external results in days, weeks and years to come.  I'm so glad I received the training I needed (and I heeded) so that I would receive a FULL BLESSING even to this day.

Remember, your opinion may be a good one. However, there is an appropriate time and place to release that opinion. 
  • A mature leader does not speak everything that comes to their mind. 
  • They hold their words till an appropriate time. 
  • They are careful not to offend others. 
  • They are mindful of how their opinion will affect others.
  • They seek to represent their leader with class, dignity, integrity and maturity.
There's nothing wrong with having an opinion...but just learn to bridle your tongue, remain teachable and seek to honor God and those He's placed over you.  You'll save yourself a lot of headache and you'll save your leaders a lot of damage control - as they try to salvage your public image.

Maturing in Christ, Reaching in Love;

Pastor Hylton