Monday, December 28, 2015

I Like Kind People

Has anyone ever shown you kindness for kindness sake?

Definition of Kindness = the state or quality of being kind; good will; grace; tenderness; compassion; humanity; gentleness; goodness; generosity; favor.

One Christmas, when I was about 11 years old, my cousin Daniel received three Survival Knives. To be honest, I was jealous.  I wanted one but that certainly wasn't what I received as a gift that year. No, instead of a survival knife, I ended up with socks, underwear and undershirts. Lucky me.  

Apparently Daniel saw the disappointed look in my eyes and was moved with kindness to give me one of his.  WOW...to this day...that is one of the best memories I have of KINDNESS!  Guess what?  I still have that survival knife!!!!!!! 

Do you have a memory of kindness?

In the Bible, the story that I can't get enough of is in 2 Samuel 9 where David shows kindness to Mephibosheth.  He asked, "Is there still anyone who is left of the house of Saul, that I may show him kindness for Jonathan's sake?"

That question showed the heart of David.  He's asking, "What can I do for someone else?" 

David had kindness in him...and what was in him came out because of his covenant relationship with his friend/brother Jonathan.  

You see, Jonathan had a crippled son who was hiding in the land of Lodebar. Mephibosheth knew full well that any decedents from the previous king were to be executed since they were considered a potential rival to the throne.  I'm sure the knock on the door caused fear in Mephibosheth's heart because he realized that he was no longer hidden from David.  The Bible says that Mephibosheth fell on his face in the presence of David.  According to the custom of the times, Mephibosheth had a lot to fear from David. Yet his fear of David was not founded in fact, only on assumption.

David removes the fears of Mephibosheth!

  1. Do not fear!
  2. I will surely show you KINDNESS for Jonathan your father's sake!
  3. I will restore to you all the land of Saul!
  4. You shall eat bread at MY TABLE continually!

Mephibosheth was happy to know that David didn't want to kill him.  To have a PROMISE like this was almost unbelievable!

The beautiful part of this story will always be that as long as Mephibosheth sat at the table of David, no one could see his lameness! 

Friend, when you and I stay at the King's table, we receive the same covering!  

It's important that you know 
who's table you're sitting at...
your future depends on it!

Today, I encourage to show KINDNESS to someone...no matter what they look like, how they act or what they've done!

This is what Jesus did for you!