Friday, March 4, 2011

One Area Where I Am Legalistic

Keeping strict guidelines in a particular area of your life can label you as legalistic.  I understand fully the thoughts associated with "legalism", having been raised in a strict religious culture. 

I do not have an ax to grind with anyone.  I'm extremely thankful for my upbringing and the standards embedded in me.  :-)  I often say, "I'm thankful for where I came from, but glad I kept coming."

Now that I'm older, I realize that certain guidelines were followed out of simple trust and obedience.  To me, this is a reflection of a pure heart.

As a result, one of the values that was modeled in front of me is PERSONAL INTEGRITY

Is INTEGRITY a requirement for leadership anymore?  Can you be a liar and a leader?  Can you twist the truth to serve your own purposes...and that be considered acceptable? 

At what point do we take responsibility for our actions, and with great humility, learn from our mistakes and walk gently from there? 

Personal Integrity is a MUST for any leader.

When we commission a pastor, elder or deacon, we ask that candidate if there is anything going on in their life privately that, if it became public, would disqualify them from ministry.

We've GOT TO BE SERIOUS about integrity.  We live in a world where the lines are increasingly grayed and Christians are made a laughing stock for simply holding to the values of a virtuous life.

Isn't it possible to see our way out of temptation and instead of bowing down to it...stand up under it?

How many pastors/ministry leaders have to make horrible moral decisions before we SERIOUSLY get a hold of safeguarding our lives?

God doesn't PLAY GAMES.  Galatians 6:7 says He will not be MOCKED...and any ministry leader that pretends all is well but has sin issues that they refuse to confess and repent of...friend, God doesn't play games!

What steps are you taking to safeguard yourself?  Here's some of mine:
  • I do not counsel women alone.
  • I do not travel alone.  If my wife cannot join me, I take a spiritual son with me.
  • I will not ride alone with a woman in a car other than my wife, daughter, mother, sister, mother-n-law or sister-n-law.
  • I include my wife on any emails, phone calls, personal messages / conversations that involve a woman.
  • Bottom line...I will not spend time alone with a woman other than my wife and daughter.
Am I legalistic about this?  You bet!

Your list may be different.  The fact is...you need a list.

There is TOO MUCH AT STAKE for me (and YOU) to fall!