Thursday, March 3, 2011

What Does God Think?

We make decisions based upon the precepts of our heart.  In other words, we act upon our best conclusions based upon the information we have.  However, when making decisions, we must ask "Is this a good decision or a God decision? Does God approve of this?"

It's important to me to seek the council of my spiritual fathers and close confidants when I'm making major decisions.  In fact, the council of my wife is very important to me.  However, there are certain times in a leader's life when God will reveal to you the right decision that needs to be made and, for a season, you may have to stand alone on that decision.

We have a good team at BFWC.  The collective wisdom of this group of pastors, elders, deacons & ministry coordinators is invaluable to me.  However, there are times when God may speak something specific to me that isn't necessarily the most popular idea at the table.  That's when I have to hold true to what the Lord is speaking to me.

If I ever as a leader try to make everyone around the leadership table with me happy and ignore God in the process...that makes me a poor leader.

In the twelve years I've been at BFWC there has only been a few times that I have disagreed with our leadership team.  This decision was always followed with continued prayer and fasting.  Asking my team to trust me when I feel like I have heard from the Lord on a matter takes courage.

If you are pulling the "God told me" card every week and never allowing the leaders at the table to speak...you can hinder achieving creativity.   Simply put, leadership is as easy as listening to God...and if we listen and obey - He approves.