Thursday, May 13, 2010

Is This a Fatherless Generation?

I didn't realize it then, but now I know that early in my ministry, as I served in youth ministry, I was connecting with future generations as a spiritual father. It wasn't until 2005 that I realized God was sharpening this "life call" in me that would propel me forth with a burning passion to make a generational impact.

Honestly, at times, being a spiritual father is taxing to my emotions. In 2005, God spoke to me about mentoring men. I'll never forget the first week I began to mentor 24 men. My heart was leaping within me and my spirit was electrified as I stepped out of the boat to take a step of faith. All I know is that I sensed a great responsibility upon me to impart my life into a group of men who would in turn impart theirs to others.

I was raised in a home with a father. My dad not only provided for us, he imparted Godly principles by his example. Honestly, I can't imagine not having a father in the home. Today, as I consider this generation's fatherless dilemma, my heart breaks. It's as if I can feel God's heart breaking for them as well.

Deciding to function in the role of fatherhood was definitely an easy one due to the passion I felt God bestowed in me. However, I learned quickly that being a spiritual father is so much more than just being a "manager" or a "boss." I guess, if I'd had my way, I'd rather manage. At least I can navigate through that with out much risk. In fact, it's probably safer. However, God didn't call me to just manage...He called me to leave my place of comfort and stretch forward to fathering.

In my travels, it seems everyone is looking for a spiritual father. The Word of God declares that we have many instructors, but not many fathers. (1 Corinthians 4:15) The difference between an instructor and a father is that instructors teach while fathers train. Teaching only prepares me to pass the test at the end of the course. Training is much more. Training involves a personal commitment to develop through experience over and over again until it's "caught."

There are so many people in the body of Christ thirsting for a spiritual father! This generation is looking for someone to not only "teach" them but to also "wake" the potential in them. We need someone to give us a big push towards our destiny. When a spiritual father takes this role to heart they make a promise to their spiritual sons:

  1. You can trust me.
  2. I'll believe the best about you.
  3. I'll be there for you.
  4. I'll share my life with you.
  5. I'll tell you the truth.
These promises will take a lifetime to achieve. A teacher only imparts for a season of your life. A spiritual father is committed for the long-term.

Unfortunately, not everyone follows through on their promises, you cannot always determine who your spiritual father is until you look back over your shoulder through the process of time and confirm them by those who have fulfilled their promise to you.

You can want to be someones spiritual father but will never be until they claim you as such. If that happens, then and only then do you have access to speak into their life fully. If you accept the role of fatherhood and then fail to follow through on your promises you plunge the "son" into further orphanage. This causes deep pain within your sons' heart and feelings of abandonment begin to surface.

I guess you could say "it's better to under-promise and over-deliver." Young people have been lied to so regularly that they have grown suspicious of anyone that attempts to get close. Only voice the promises you know you can deliver on. I guess we should start with "I'll believe the best in you" and "I'll tell you the truth." Perhaps then, over time, trust will come and we'll be on our way to fathering a fatherless generation.