Friday, February 4, 2011

Leading People is Personal

I had a manager at one of the banks I worked for named Debbie.  Debbie was probably one of the best managers I've ever had.  Anytime our lines would become extra long, she'd jump in and help the team clear out the lobby.

Sure, she had responsibilities, that none of us could do, but what she could do for us made a huge impression to the morale of the team.

I've thought about her leadership from time to time.  She modeled a "servant-leader" style that made each member of the team want to emulate.

In my last blog, I shared Paul's recommendation of Timothy to the church in Philipi. 
  • Philippians 2:19-22 "But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state. For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state. For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's. But ye know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he hath served with me in the Gospel."  

Paul modeled before Timothy.
Timothy watched Paul.
Timothy then emulated Paul's actions.
Paul recommends Timothy.

Before Timothy "did" leadership, he first "saw" leadership.  He then adopts Paul's style of ministry as his own.  Timothy's love for the people came first from his love for Christ in which he saw modeled in the life of Paul.

The gist of this passage shows us that Paul didn't sit on his "high horse" and bark orders at Timothy.  Paul got in the trenches, showed Timothy how to perform servant-leadership and then watched as Timothy did the same.

If a leader is going to disciple a follower, that leader must NOT be viewed only in the "manager's" role.  Jesus modeled servant-leadership before his disciples.  Thus His disciples modeled His actions

Leading people has to become personal.

Best regards to my former bank manager...Debbie.