Friday, February 26, 2021

Leaguership: Pastor, are you emotionally healthy?

Pastor, are you emotionally healthy?

Ministry can be draining. You know you are beginning to be drained emotionally when…

  • You find yourself getting angry with the people who work with you for petty reasons – or no reason at all.
  • You’re having imaginary arguments with people over things that really don’t matter.
  • You are feeling a strain on your marriage.
  • Your energy level is low & you feel like you’ve run out of time to give your spouse & kids.
  • You think about quitting the ministry…routinely.
  • You struggle with your thoughts.
  • You can’t seem to sleep at night & have a hard time staying awake during the day.
  • I could go on…but I think you get the point.

How do you snap out of it?

Here’s my take…

#1 Confide in your Spiritual Father/Mother

You can’t go on pretending that everything is fine while you’re slowly dying inside. Confide in your spiritual mentors…someone…but do not think you have to bear the burden alone.

#2 Step away from work & do something fun

Pastors often struggle with this because they think that going out & doing something “fun” while there is so much to be done is sin. However, I know from personal experience that when I allow myself to disconnect & do something that I enjoy…I get my batteries recharged. Also, it’s during those times that I usually come up with some really great ministry ideas.

#3 You may need to also get some Christian counseling

It’s not a sin to see a counselor or a therapist. There may be times that the load is so heavy that a confidential counselor can help walk you through those times. There are also some great places that provide pastors a place to rest for a few days. Beverly & I have been blessed to connect with these resources over the years.

If you’re feeling overwhelmed & emotionally drained, perhaps this is a step for you to take. Yes, it may cost money…but you can’t afford not to invest in yourself.

Pastor…you are the only that can take care of your emotional health. It is your responsibility to keep the flame burning. You are too important to be another ministry casualty.