Monday, January 18, 2010

Prayer Preserves our Families


DAY EIGHT

Prayer preserves our families – Nehemiah 4:14 14And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses.

Parents have an incredible responsibility to cover their children. If our families are to be protected, then we must fight for them. So much is at stake.

1. Give yourself to the Lord.

  • Make up your mind that you’re going to live for the Lord.
  • Joshua 2:15 “…but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

2. Give your children to the Lord.

  • By acknowledging God as the owner of your child you recognize yourself as a steward of this precious gift.
  • Psalms 127:3 “…children are an heritage of the Lord…”

3. Lead your child to the Lord at an early age.

  • Salvation is essential for you and your children.
  • If our children are to have a relationship with the Lord, than it will more than likely stem from the example parents give to their children in their own relationship with Christ.
  • We must never take salvation for granted.

4. Reverence the Lord with a Godly fear.

  • The fear of the Lord is a constant awareness of His holiness, righteousness and justice. As a result, my thoughts, words, actions and deeds are always on display before God.
  • Proverbs 16:6 “By mercy and truth iniquity I purged; and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.”

5. Alert your children how to identify and oppose evil.

  • James 4:6-10 6But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. 7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. 9Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. 10Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

6. Instruct your children about the danger of being “unequally yoked”.

  • 2 Corinthians 6:14 14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

7. Teach your children to respect and honor authority.

  • 1 Samuel 15:23 23For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

Prayer
“Lord, I commit myself to the protection of my family. I will do everything within my power to keep the way clear from obstruction and unhealthy influences. I am reminded today of the incredible responsibility you have entrusted to me. Thank you for instructing me through Your word. Today is a new day – tomorrow is behind me – tomorrow Your grace will sustain me still. I need You Lord.”