Thursday, January 28, 2010

Prayer Overcomes Opposition


DAY EIGHTEEN

Prayer Overcomes Opposition - Nehemiah 1:4-5 4And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven, 5And said, I beseech thee, O LORD God of heaven, the great and terrible God, that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love him and observe his commandments:

As Nehemiah approaches the Lord in prayer, he models a lifestyle of prayer to those watching. In essence, he shows us how to come before the Lord in prayer.

1. Praise – Nehemiah 1:5 5And said, I beseech thee, O LORD God of heaven, the great and terrible God, that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love him and observe his commandments:
  • He begins by lifting up the Lord. He recognizes God for his superiority, strength, sovereignty, sacredness and sincerity.
  • Jesus taught us to begin our prayers with praise as well: Matthew 6:9 9After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

2. Perseverance – Nehemiah 1:6 6Let thine ear now be attentive, and thine eyes open, that thou mayest hear the prayer of thy servant, which I pray before thee now, day and night, for the children of Israel thy servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel, which we have sinned against thee: both I and my father’s house have sinned.

  • He didn’t stop praying till he got his answer. Isn’t that really how we’re supposed to pray? Not the little “now I lay me down to sleep” prayer or the “God is good, God is great” prayer…but the earnest prayer that is without ceasing.
  • A heart that is really burdened will not “let up” till the answer comes.

3. Penitence – Nehemiah 1:6-7 6Let thine ear now be attentive, and thine eyes open, that thou mayest hear the prayer of thy servant, which I pray before thee now, day and night, for the children of Israel thy servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel, which we have sinned against thee: both I and my father’s house have sinned. 7We have dealt very corruptly against thee, and have not kept the commandments, nor the statutes, nor the judgments, which thou commandedst thy servant Moses.

  • “Lord forgive me of my sins and the sins of my fathers.” This is real repentance.
  • Repentance is a “must” if we want to see our prayers answered. Psalms 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me
  • Nehemiah isn’t just pointing out other people’s faults – he starts with himself.

4. Promises – Nehemiah 1:8-10 8Remember, I beseech thee, the word that thou commandedst thy servant Moses, saying, If ye transgress, I will scatter you abroad among the nations: 9But if ye turn unto me, and keep my commandments, and do them; though there were of you cast out unto the uttermost part of the heaven, yet will I gather them from thence, and will bring them unto the place that I have chosen to set my name there. 10Now these are thy servants and thy people, whom thou hast redeemed by thy great power, and by thy strong hand.

  • Nehemiah doesn’t forget the promises that God made to Israel.
  • God said He would restore the nation if they repented.

5. Partners – Nehemiah 1:1111O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king’s cupbearer.

  • We need as many people as possible to surround us in prayer.
  • Matthew 18:19 19Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

6. Petitions – Nehemiah 1:11 11O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king’s cupbearer.

  • This is what was really in his heart.
  • I need grace in the sight of men.
  • God wants us to ask Him for the things we need.
  • Our faith must be exercised in asking.
  • God knows what we need – but he still wants us to ask.