Friday, January 8, 2010

How May I Encourage You?

If I'm going to have fast food, then one of my favorite places to visit is Chick-Fil-A. The courtesy is so refreshing! When I visit through the drive thru, for my favorite sweet tea, I'm always impressed with the way the employees speak to me. "It will be a pleasure to see you at the window" - I mean come on....you just don't get this type of customer service everywhere.

In fact, I've had my share of discourteous service:

  • The sales clerk who is talking on the cell phone or a co-worker and trying to wait on me as well.
  • The sales clerk who doesn't say "hello" but just holds their hand out to receive my method of payment.
  • The sales clerk who doesn't say "thank you" or "you're welcome."
  • The sales clerk who's attitude is "Hey, I'm doing you a favor just to wait on you."

Does anyone have good customer service skills anymore?

When I was in the banking industry, I was taught thoroughly how to provide quality customer service with my clients.

  • Use their name as often as possible.
  • Greet them with a smile and direct eye contact.
  • Thank them for their business.

As a believer, I have an obligation to represent Jesus Christ to everyone I come in contact with. Not only in church...but in every secular environment as well.

The next time you go to the grocery store, prepare yourself mentally before you walk in the door to "encourage" the employees of the store and other customers.

Be prepared for SHOCK. Some people will look at you strange and think you're up to something. This is the day we're living in. It's almost strange to actually be nice.

Depending on where you live in this country, the way people communicate in public ranges from a hardy hello to a blank stare.

Lets determine to be ENCOURAGER'S to those we come in contact with. Here are a few tips:

  1. Express genuine interest - ask questions to get the other person talking.

  2. Affirm & Validate - by acknowledge what's important to someone else you are building self-esteem and confidence.

  3. Congratulate - if someone has worked hard on a project or has seen success in an area in their life, offer congratulations. Your words can encourage them to do even better the next time.

  4. Common Courtesy - saying thank you is not only good manners but it sends a message that what they have done is worthwhile and meaningful to you.