Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pray for our Leaders


DAY TWELVE

Pray for Our Leaders - 1 Timothy 2:1-2 1I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

Paul is specific about what he feels will grow the church:



  • Supplications – this highlights a personal need. From this we can draw an emphasis on something requested.

  • Prayers – a spoken or unspoken address to God. Of course, our prayers are not only methods of communication but also a means to worship and honor God.

  • Intercessions – the act of pleading on someone’s behalf.

  • Giving Thanks – an attitude of gratitude.

  • For all men – of course, this is the first objective for our prayers.

  • Peaceable – an attitude of tranquility.

Seven Reasons to pray for your Leader



  1. So that our life will be good - 1 Timothy 2:1-3

  2. Out of respect for God – 1 Timothy 2:3

  3. So that souls will be won in peace – 1 Timothy 2:4

  4. Because God leads the leaders heart – Proverbs 21:1

  5. Cursing your leader is wrong – Ecclesiastes 10:20

  6. Your leader is following the rules – Romans 13:1,3,4

  7. Out of obedience to the Word of God – 1 Timothy 2:1-2

Let me encourage you today to pray for your leader every day. You may not always agree with your leader’s policies or decisions but you are committed to stand with them as they travel their personal journey in faith.



  • Pray for your leader’s spiritual state.

  • Pray that your leader will make wise decisions. “The kings heart is in the hand of the Lord…He turneth it whithersoever He will”. (Proverbs 21:1)

  • Pray for your leader’s associations.

Prayer
“Lord, thank You for the leaders You have placed in my life. I know they provide a covering for me and have the freedom to speak into my life encouragement, wisdom, correction and charity. I commit to continue to pray for my leaders in every aspect of their life. God, grant them wisdom, purity, discernment and peace in their leadership. As I serve my leader, I will keep their hands raised even when I’m uncertain of the direction, decisions or details.”